Sunday, September 4, 2011

My Health Issues... Short Version


(written as a note to my Friday School Friends Group)
Hi everyone!  I posted a few posts on my blog about what's been going on recently with me.  I'll give you the short version :D

August 3rd I had a mole removed on my right leg, near my knee.  It was a birthmark type mole that I've had since childhood.  It seemed to have changed so I went and had the dermatologist look at it & they removed it.  On the 5th I found out that it had early melanoma.  Which means skin cancer.  A few days later, I found a walnut sized "mass" in my neck.  Put two & two together... I was a bit nervous about what was going on with me.

Since then, I've had many doctors apts, three ultrasounds, a needle biopsy of the mass and the area around the mole excised (took more skin) all in August.  It was quite the month!  The doctors supposed that the skin cancer on my leg & the lump on my neck would probably not be related because.. in theory, if the melanoma had gone anywhere.. it should have gone to the lymph nodes in my groin, not my neck.  That sort of made me feel better.. 

This week, the excision was done.  The pathology came back clear.  They got all of the melanoma on my leg.  So now just for healing there.  I will be on crutches for my leg for the next 10 days.  Back on my feet for Friday School (not registration).  

For my neck, I got the biopsy results back Thursday.. and they found no malignant cells in the mass.  So, they are confident that it is not cancerous.  They do now believe though that it is a lymph node.  The surgeon wants to see me back after the baby is born.. and he supposes that they will probably recommend to have the lymph node/mass removed.

It's been a very emotional month for me & Rod.  For a week or so, I was pretty scared that I did have cancer in my lymph nodes.  After getting over the shock... I spent a lot of time dealing with fear, fear of loss, fear of the unknown.  I told a few friends and really felt covered in prayer.  I got to the point where I just had to let it lay in the Lords hands, went through the process and waited for the results. 

I'd have to say that at the moment, I'm feeling glad that I'm pregnant.. because if I weren't I know I wouldn't have gone in and had the mole looked at.  This baby very well may have saved my life.  It's also made me take a good look at my life & I realize that the Lord has really blessed me and I need to start thinking like it :D

Thanks to those of you who've brought us meals or are planning to!  It's been a blessing.  Rod & I are realizing that we are both just tired physically & emotionally from all my goings on... and so Thank You!!!  And thanks to Teresa Sommers for putting it together!!  We're looking forward to see you all later in the month!
Zindra

No comments: