Sunday, September 4, 2011

More of my story, continued...

So back to the story... As I said before, August 10th, my birthday, I had the ultrasound on my lump on my neck.  At this point, no one was "too" concerned about what was going on in my leg anymore... all the concern had shifted to what was going on in my neck.  My leg, the pathology was early melanoma... and contained within just that area according to the pathology.

Since my biopsy apt. was in the morning, we called the general doctor next day for the results.  One thing I've learned throughout all of my apts. from this last month - is that you can call for your results.  I wouldn't have ever done so in the past.. just waited until my next apt to hear the results.  The results were... no it's not a lymph node.  Yes, it's a solid mass.  No it's probably not cancerous, but you'll need a biopsy to tell.  The least invasive way for a biopsy is a needle biopsy.  We'll get one scheduled for you.

My general doctor said that they would get back to us about an apt with a surgeon for the needle biopsy.  We called later that afternoon... they didn't have an apt for us.  We called the next day, no apt yet.  They said they would call us back.. they never did.  (Still haven't to this day actually.  I think I'm going to change my general doctor.)  Called my midwife.. let her know that we hadn't gotten an apt & then she started calling around.  Finally got ahold of someone who could get something scheduled.  They got me an apt for the Aug 23rd to see a surgeon at the Medical Center.  So, I'd have to wait two weeks to talk to a surgeon.  Feeling the run around!

The consult came for my leg & went on Aug 16th.  Yes, they were going to remove 5mm of skin in that area.  Standard procedure.  The procedure was scheduled for Monday, August 29th.  He didn't think my leg & my neck were related.  (it should have gone to my groin, not my neck.)  Two weeks of healing - staying off my leg & I'll be as good as new.  No walking on my leg.  Shouldn't hurt too much.  Probably won't need pain meds.  Be prepared to take some time off.. so standing for long periods of time or walking.

The apt with the surgeon finally arrived.  He felt the lymph nodes around my neck & in my groin.  Nothing else is enlarged.  Hey said that people in general are lumpy and that it could be nothing major.  Best to check it out.  We thought that he was going to be doing the biopsy... and he said that day that he would rather have me have it done by a radiologist by ultrasound.  So, they would call me with that apt.  Waiting for someone to schedule another apt.  I thought I was going to die!  Why is it that they can't seem to get back to me about apts in a timely manner?  Seriously?  We call... no apt.  Finally they call the next day - and it's an apt for Friday.  I guess three days to wait for an apt isn't that bad.  Thank goodness it wasn't any longer.

The surgeon was going to be out of town that weekend, but I'd have the needle biopsy done friday August 26th & they would call me (once again) and get me an apt to meet with him about the results the week after.  The results apt got scheduled for the following Thurs. Sept 1st.

So, I was looking forward to.. biopsy friday, excision monday, follow up on biopsy thursday, bandage change for my excision on friday.  Yuck.  That's a lot of apts.  and after monday I'm not supposed to be walking!  I guess we'd have to find me a wheelchair...

Friday came for the biopsy.  It was more unpleasant than I thought it would be.  They did it by ultrasound.  Of course they had to wait for the radiologist to get there... so I sat prepped on a table for a good hour with Rod in the waiting room not knowing why a 10 minute procedure was turning into an hour & a half.  Poor guy.  Then when the actually went to do it they hit a nerve every time they put the needle in.. and a sharp pain went down my arm.  It took almost a week before that nerve was no longer agitated!  Next up... excision Monday!

No comments: