Just over two weeks has passed since my excision. That was quite the interesting experience. If I ever have to do it again... I'll take my Zune. Hearing snip snip snip - and knowing they weren't cutting paper was almost more than I could handle... although I couldn't feel a darn thing!
So as of Monday - I've been off crutches. My incision is still draining. It's a bit odd to walk.. but I suppose that will be normal again here soon. Not in too much pain, occasionally it stings. It stings less now that they've taken the stitches out. Thank the Lord...
Monday, when I had my stitches removed I grabbed one of the pamphlets on skin cancer. Rod and I have talked quite a bit about - when will there be a day when I look at my skin, see something odd - and realize it's okay... just have it looked at. No need to freak out. I'm hoping that that day will come sooner than later. In October I have my first "3 month" checkup where they will check my skin. I'll do this every three months for a year. Then every 6 months for a year. Then yearly. They'll make notes etc. about any moles that are questionable and watch them. Remove anything questionable occasionally too.
At the moment - when I see something... I have to decide that I won't be fearful - if that makes sense... I have to decide that God's bigger than this too. Well, I read through the skin cancer pamphlet - because I really do need to know what I'm looking at, ya know? And of course I saw something on a different kind of skin cancer and it reminded me of this wart type thing that I have on my other leg. Well, I sort of had a bad moment. Faith is a decision. A daily one for me.
Today, Jed went in to get some warts frozen again. He's been going in off & on for a few months. He goes to the same Dermatology office as I do. I love them there. If I could give them 10 gold stars (out of 5) I would. I've never felt so cared for at a doctors office. I don't feel like a patient, I feel like a person - with feelings. Anyway, Rod said I should go in today with them to have Jed's warts frozen... and that he was sure that Corrine would look at my wart - esp. if we explain all that's been going on.
Well, she came in and before she began talking to Jed... she saw the bandage on my leg and began asking me questions.. how long since my stitches came out... how long has it been draining like that... etc. Then she told her assistant (if it was ok with me) that she wanted to look at my incision. I was really relieved. I didn't like the look of how it had been draining... so I thought it was a great idea. They swabbed it to see if it's infected, and I might need to take meds.. but I'll know in a few days. In the mean time, they want me to put medicine on it daily.
Then I asked if she could take a minute and look at my other leg, that I had a wart or something that I was concerned about. She asked if my incision was due to melanoma in it & I said yes, and that I know I will have a three month check up here soon.. but until I do - I'm not sure what I'm looking at when I look at my skin. Every time I see something odd... I have to fight the fear. She told me that if I ever had questions about any mole that I was welcome to call for an apt. That esp. those of us who've just been diagnosed with Melanoma.. that often times we need to be reassured and that that's okay. It felt so good to hear her say that. It's okay for me to be concerned and to want to talk to someone. She did look at the wart on my leg & another on my foot & she said that they are fine... and that they aren't warts but they freeze off just like warts.. (I can't remember their name.) Phew. Glad I didn't wait weeks to hear that!!!
Then on the way out, I saw my regular doctor in the hall. She was wanting to know if all was ok with my incision & I explained that we were really there for Jed, but that Corrine had seen me & I told her what Corrine had done today. She was glad that I had come in and that it was looked at. It just really felt great to day to go in and see friendly faces & get reassured. It was as if the Lord knew that I was the one that really needed to be seen today... Thanks God!
-
No comments:
Post a Comment