Sunday, July 4, 2010

Shooting Fun

So far, this fourth of July weekend is going great!  We're having a good time...

Today we met up with some friends that I haven't really talked to for quite some time.  It was sort of impromptu - and it felt so good to see them. Last week, Josiah went to visit at our friends, and it came up that my parents have property - which would make a good place to go shooting.  We asked my parents if we could invite our friends out & they said yes.  Then, this morning, our friends gave us a call to see if we were available.

We shot their Glock, their semi automatic 22, our 22 and our bb gun.  I was so impressed with how the Dads set up the rules, the shooting range and made sure that all the safety regulations were followed.  Josiah was a hoot - since he's just finished hunters ed/gun safety... he was dutifully enforcing gun safety rules.

Let's just say, that even though hunting runs in the blood in my family, I've only shot a gun a few different times.  I've shot a 22, whatever they had us shoot in gun safety class years ago and then a shotgun of some sort for shooting clay pidgeons a couple of years ago.  Needless to say, I'm not up on gun verbage past what they use on NCIS.  I'm not afraid of shooting or uncomfortable doing so, but just so completely unexperienced.

I also have issues with my vision.  A couple of weeks ago, I went to the eye doctor and he was impressed the my vision is what it is.  I have severe astigmatism and I'm near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other.  I've felt that this is one of the reasons that I haven't enjoyed shooting before, that I haven't had the opportunity to figure out my vision while shooting.  Today, although i'm right handed, I had the most success shooting left handed. (Rod's idea - trying to trick my brain). 

With the Glock, I hit nothing.  It was really loud and fun to shoot.  With the semi automatic 22, I hit 3 pop cans. Yay, for me - the first time I've hit anything!!

Rod & Josiah & Jed had a fantastic time.  Rod & Josiah shot the 22's & the Glock.  Jed shot the semi auto 22 & the bb gun.  Yes, I just realized when I got home that I let my 11 year old shoot a Glock!! Although, I'd have to say, I was less worried about him shooting, then I was myself!!  If you have concerns about me letting my kids shoot - well, lets just say, that as a child I saw what guns could do, as well as the value of them.  I understood how important it is to be careful with them.  Letting my kids have that experience, gives them first hand knowledge that I believe will teach them to respect guns as well.  That's just my 2 cents!

Then afterwards, we had a bonfire.  We were planning on going to see the Big Lake fireworks, but chose to visit with friends around the fire instead.  A chance to catch up on the events of our lives over the last few months.  I love our dear friends & I think that was a great choice!!!  Tonight, I'm feeling incredibly blessed that we have such amazing friends in our lives to share our life with.  God has been so good to us in this area of our lives.  Thanks Lord!

No comments: