Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Thing That No One Wants... part 2

Back to the dreaded topic of skin cancer.  Wow, when people hear that word they freak.  How do you run from other peoples emotions?

Wednesday, I had the mole removed.
Friday, I found out it was early melanoma (contained).
Saturday, I find a lump on the right side of my neck.

Wow, what do you do when you find out that you have skin cancer... only to have it removed... and told that even though it's gone, and that it may never return.. that you will always be "labeled" as having skin cancer?

And then the very next night... Say 36 hours later... you find a lump on your neck.  Where does your brain go?  Well that's where mine went.  And how do you tell your husband that there's a lump on your neck after you just found out the very day before that you have something that ultimately could be fatal?

I didn't even bother to hide it.  I went to the bathroom.  Gave the darn thing a feel.  Came out and showed him.  We were leaving, so the kids were on their way to the car.. so we had a moment to ourselves.

We decided that after we were done with our evening, Rod would take me to the ER.  Because we didn't know who to call come Monday morning.. do you call the midwives?  do you call the dermatologist?  do I call the general doctor I haven't seen in over 3 years.. because I only have baby issues... none other?

Then I decided that I would call the midwives after hours number.  At least I could talk to them & they would know what was going on come Monday morning.  So that's where this started.

Funny thing, try going into the ER 21 weeks pregnant (yes, they stop miscarriages at this point) and it to NOT be about the baby.  I was asked umpteen questions everyone thinking I must be there for the baby.  They finally calmed down about it and ordered someone to come to a fetal heart rate check.. which of course was fine!

The ER doctor said that the cyst/lump/mass whatever it is is the size of a walnut.  He said to call my general doctor & get in as quick as I can.  Because I've just found out about the melanoma... of course it freaked everyone there out.  They really did nothing... He did tell me where to go from there though, so I can be thankful for that.  He said to call the dermatologist if I couldn't get in with my general doctor.

I was dreading Monday morning... how was I ever going to get in quickly to a regular doctor?  Then at 8:15am the phone rings.  One midwife had called the one working that Monday and told her my situation.  I had told her I had gone to the ER - and that the ER doc suggested an ultrasound & needle biopsy.  So she called my doctor and got me an apt. for that afternoon.  I couldn't have done that if I tried.  Apparently, the Lord is looking out for me!

The doctors apt went as thought... she felt it... said yes, there's a lump & ordered an ultrasound.  Got an ultrasound for two days later.  Two days came & I went in for it.  I saw the lump, the tech verified that indeed it is the size of a walnut.  The results should be back to my general doctor within three days.  Like I would wait three days to find out!

I do have to say.... that if I had not just found out about the skin cancer stuff.. that they would normally not do  *anything* they would just watch it for a month or two to see if it enlarges or shrinks.  There are plenty of reasons to have enlarged lymph nodes.. which is what they thought it was at this point.  What we are hoping for is that this has not gone to my lymph nodes.  If it does that means it could be throughout my entire lymph node system.. which is bad.

My general doctors office just happens to be next to the OB office.  So Rod & I stopped in to talk to the midwife.  We were able to talk to her.  We thanked her for getting us in and expiditing the process.  We thanked her for her obvious concern.  We talked to her about my concerns.  She let me know that in worse case scenario.. they would deliver the baby at 28 weeks to give me care.  Wow, that's 7 weeks away.  And as of today, 6 weeks.  

The next morning, Rod calls my general doctor to see if the results are in.  An hour later, someone from the office calls me and gives me the news... the news that it's not a lymph node.  It's a solid mass on the side of my neck.  It may or may not be cancerous.  Generally they aren't.  They want to do a needle biopsy.  I already had one scheduled for Aug 23 - she says she's going to see if she can move that up for me.  Yes, ma'am, please do!  So as far as waiting for the process to move along, that's where I be!

Let's just say that it's a good thing that my life is in the Lord's hands.  It's the best news EVER that HE says that we are not to worry or cast any cares about tomorrow.  I do have my moments, but overall, with my friends praying and me looking at my spiritual life... I have realized that the Lord is going to cover me, my husband, this new baby and my children no matter what comes along.  Trust in Him.  Really, though, whatever else of a choice do I have??  I take my peace or I would be tormented.  I'll take the peace He offers - thank you very much.

No comments: