Wednesday, July 20, 2011

All Stars Game 5 - SSLL vs. South Whidbey, Rubber match

(Josiah Nelson, photo by Rod Nelson, 7/15/11)

Since the boys lost last night, and both teams have lost in the tournament once... they were up to play South Whidbey again.

SW scored 2 in the first or second inning and SSLL just didn't ever recover.  Our pitchers pitched well, but theirs pitched better.  I was proud of Josiah - he's such a consistent player.  He hit EVERY time he was up at bat the entire tournament.  He got on base every time but the last (it was an out..).  A couple were fielders choice.. but he hit the ball!!!  In the Sedro game, Josiah made the winning hit.  In this game, he made the game ending hit.  He was up - and the ball beat him to first base - that was the third out - and the game was over!  Talk about being on both ends of the spectrum!!

(Josiah & teammates, by Rod Nelson, 7/15/11)

They didn't win this one either.. which is a real bummer because of all of the obvious talent that is on the team.  They were pretty evenly matched though... They lost 2-0.  Which means we won't be going to state in Vancouver, WA next week.  Which is bittersweet.  I really, really wanted Josiah to have the "going to state" experience.  He really wanted to go!  If only wishing were enough!  But we hadn't heard if Rod's unemployment was going to get extended (until today) ... and even with unemployment - we really couldn't have afforded to go.  I mean, we would have made it work - but we really couldn't afford it.

A couple of neat things that I will take away from this tournament... I got to see South Whidbey get their banner - which said something to the effect of District 11 champions.  That was pretty neat.  None of the previous All Stars teams that Josiah has ever been on has ever gotten this far.  So I hadn't ever witnessed it.

Second, I was really proud of how Josiah handled the loss.  I wish that I could learn how he does that.. take the bad with the good.  It's something that he gets from his dad.  His teammates were like... "Josiah, you're even happy when we lose??"  His response was something along the lines of, "There's no shame in a loss like that one!".  They played a good game.  And then, while getting everyone in the parking lot, a SW kid walked by - and Josiah said "Hey, congratulations!  And I hope you do even better in that tournament!"  What a great attitude.  I think I need to take notice for myself!!!

Fun Fact #5:  This was Josiah's third year as a pitcher!

See Gamechanger stats for game #5 HERE.
See Gamechanger stats for the tournament HERE.

No comments: