Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Simplifying isn't really that simple...

Recently, I got a copy of "Large Family Logistics" from the library.  I guess, thinking that we are going to be having 6 kids in the house.. that we are now technically a "large" family.

While it seems to be a good book, I'm not really sure what makes it more of a book geared any more towards larger families - than smaller sized ones...  It seems that all the info would have been helpful if I'd only had two or three kids.  It talks about planning your week - a home organization book (reminds me of flylady) - chores - routines - and quite a bit more.  (I was bummed it didn't have anything on meal planning...) It's not my favorite organization book, though, I would say that it is worth checking out...

One thing that really hit home with me again while reading it - that I have heard before was:
1.  Plan your days.  Gosh this seems like such a silly thing to do - but I thought I would give it a try.
Monday - Laundry day (uh, do laundry)
Tuesday - Kitchen day (bake, clean, etc.)
Wednesday - Office day (organize desk, pay bills, etc.)
Thursday - Town day (apts, shopping etc.)
etc.

I imagine that I'll be switching things up a bit.  But, today while at an OB apt, they asked me when I wanted my next apt (in 4 weeks).  I said, could it be on a Thursday?  Well, I gave it a good effort - but the only midwife available is the new one that I didn't really connect with - so I took a Tuesday - so that I could catch up with another midwife that I haven't yet seen this pregnancy.  I tried :D

Then, the ultrasound people called and gave me an apt for my 20 week ultrasound... for a Friday. Oh well.

Later, I called to get Josiah an apt for his knee.  They say it's just "growing pains", but because of some odd bone growth that Rod had as a teen - I really would like to have a knee doctor look at Josiah's knee (in case something hereditary is going on).  So I called to get a "referral" apt, and the receptionist asked which day - I said "Thursday" and voila! we have our first Thursday apt.  I guess third try is a charm?

What's the significance of this... training your brain that certain things happen on certain days of the week, to give your brain some scheduling peace.  I think the real point of the author though, is that our grandmas seemed to have more time - without all of our modern conveniences.  Getting back to doing things the way that they "used to be done" will help us get our stuff done in an organized peaceful manner.  Well, I guess I'll try it for a few months and see how it goes...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to read this too... I think the big issue with our grandmothers having more time is really more that they probably used their time more wisely. I imagine they were up bright and early, had breakfast on the table before husband went off to work, multi-tasked and managed their homes, and stayed in their routine daily without letting other things distract them. There wasn't hours spent checking email, playing computer games, reading Facebook updates, etc. I really think it's all about prioritizing and time management... I know with my large family, I get a whole lot more done when the computer is off for the day and I write myself out a list of goals...sort of plan my day. I'm looking forward to reading this when I can find it! :)