(Photo: SSLL All Stars, 11-12s, July 9, 2011, by Rod Nelson)
Josiah's All Stars team did a great job in their first tournament game! They won 5-0. You know, as a mom and spectator, I haven't decided if I prefer the games that are close and you win with all the excitement and adrenaline... or if I prefer the games that are cut & dry & it's pretty obvious who has the upper hand.
(SSLL, announcing the teams, 7/9/11, photo by Rod Nelson)
Today, South Skagit Little League definitely had the upper hand. So much of the game is dependent upon the pitchers. Our starter pitcher went 5 innings - which is fantastic pitch count-wise for a little league game. They can only pitch 85 pitches in one game. I think our lead pitcher didn't get to 85 - but he only has to take three days rest (vs. four if they pitch 85).
They played the Burlington team. They went through 4 pitchers. Only one of them really had much merit. It makes you wonder how the rest of the tournament will go for them - because a pitcher can only pitch so much and then they have to rest for so long...
I was glad to see that they bring brought in umpires from the district. Sometimes umps get a lot of grief - at least behind their backs for their calls and/or their strike zone. It's really interesting to watch the strike zones... esp. when you have such a size difference in kids! Josiah's strike zone is considerably different than some of his mates.
It was great to see Josiah hit well today! He hit & got on base each time :D
(In general, it can be frustrating when you get home and are doing the post game talk when you realize that the boys (Josiah/Jedediah) are frustrated with the fact that they struck out once or twice in a game... but it is a great chance to talk about real life & how real life doesn't always go the way you want it to - even when you're trying your hardest! I love teachable moments - very homeschool!)
Josiah came in for the 6th inning as the closing pitcher. I could totally see it in his nerves. It's different coming in as a closing pitcher.. esp. when you are ahead in the game. You just knew that Josiah knew that if he screwed up this one inning... that it could cost them the game. Ending the game as a pitcher (and as the pitchers mom!) has a totally different feeling than if they start the game!
I have to say, it's pretty crazy watching this particular team play. This is the first team Josiah's been on that has had this much talent. They have 13 kids on the team... and they are all truly starters. It's tough to see kids sit out knowing that they are normally starting & playing the entire game! I think they truly do have a chance to go to state... though that's in Vancouver at the end of the month.
Fun Fact: Josiah has worn #44 for the last three years in the All Stars Tournaments :D
They play again tomorrow - and then I think on Tuesday. Their tournament goes through this coming Saturday.
No comments:
Post a Comment