Thursday, June 10, 2010

Paper Boat Regatta

(Photo by Zindra - can you tell how hard it's raining???)
There is one thing, ONE thing - that we will stop almost anything as a family to do... Literally, when one of us notices that it has begun to downpour (not just rain) - we pull out the coats, hats, an umbrella or two AND paper.

(Photo by Zindra - Jed & Jules watching their paper boats.)  A few years ago, Rod learned how to make paper boats. Ever since then, when we get a downpour (and you really need about that much water) it's become a tradition to sail them. We live on a paved street, so when it rains the water moves them so quickly! Next time, I'll have to see if we can time it :D

(Photo by Zindra - Paper boats)  Today is one of the few days of the year where we got enough rain to actually sail the paper boats well :D It just seemed really noisy in the living room and no one but me was in it. No tv on or anything.. I looked around and opened the door to see if it was raining. It wasn't just raining! The rain was raining SO hard that the rain was bouncing off of the cement - making it look like hail! Paper boat time! 

I called to everyone and told them to come see - and Rod & I started making boats while the kids got their gear on. I love these moments. The sporadic ones that make you feel like you did something really memorable with your kids. This is one of the things that we do with our kids that I really believe that they will remember. And that's something that I honestly can feel good about. I just love though how everyone giggles and smiles and has such a great time! 

(Photo of Josiah by Zindra - 1st boat went all the way down the street.  Completed the course!  The 2nd boat went down TWO TIMES!  That's an amazing thing in itself - if you know anything about paper boats you'll understand!  The third boat, Josiah "didn't feel like" taking it to the starting line - and it made it from 1/2 way to the finish line.)

Now, back to what we were doing in real life - updating the mattress on Josiah's bed....

No comments: