Monday, August 3, 2009

New Friday School Directors

A couple of months ago, Traci, our Director of Friday school here in Skagit County, decided to step down. Rod & I considered doing it ~ but we are so involved in so many friday school things! It would mean there are things that we would need to give up. Would someone want to take up the things that we need to let go??

About a two weeks ago, I emailed the leadership team to see if anyone had stepped up. Not yet. A few interested. Finally we sat down with Polli & Randy to see what it all entails. After much discussion, we believe that it is something that Rod and I are cut out to do. We are leaders, we can handle tough situations and we have a strong vision for our co-op and for First Class Homeschool Ministries.

After some thought & prayer, Rod & I decided to do it - because it would just seem unfair to someone new who wasn't already part of the leadership team - there is so much to learn... And because we really understand the vision, the ministry and the heart of being a part of a co-op.

We had a Leadership Team (Board Meeting) on July 21st and we were voted in. Traci stepped down officially yesterday, Aug. 1st, 2009. So here we are, the newest Directors of First Class Skagit County!

Things that we will need to change our involvement in:
*We are going to need help with the teen group.
*I need someone to print the newsletter for me.
*I'm planning on looking for someone to do the newsletter.
*We need to find a replacement for me in Coffee Corner.
*We're hoping that we will have the time for Rod to still teach classes at Friday School.
I guess those are the things that us becoming the Directors, will really affect.

If you would have asked me a few years ago - if this was where I planned on being Aug 2009 - I would have told you "get out". Not as in get out of my house, but the expression "get out!" Would never have thought that I had the self confidence, the leadership skills, the ability to talk with people or the ability to resolve conflict back then. The Lord has made some big changes in our lives & has been preparing us for this for quite some time.

What are we hoping to do as the Directors? Continue to encourage a sense of community in our co-op. Build relationships with homeschooling families. Show God's love. Encourage others to step up into leadership roles. Support those homeschool families that need support. Encourage more of a relationship between the "local" FCHM co-ops. Give our vision for our co-op and FCHM to the families in our co-op. Encourage parents to homeschool high school. Encourage those in our co-op to support FCHM.

So, buckle up, here we go, off on another Adventure!

No comments: